Thursday, August 23, 2007

It's All Just You, Bishop Robinson

From Catholic World News:
An openly homosexual Episcopal bishop will enter into a civil partnership with his lover just prior to the Lambeth Conference, the Church of England Newspaper reports.

Bishop Gene Robinson, whose ordination as head of the New Hampshire diocese in 2003 has caused severe strains in the worldwide Anglican communion, has announced plans to enter a formal civil partnership in June, just before the Lambeth meeting of the world's Anglican leaders.

Bishop Robinson denies that he has timed the ceremony to focus publicity on his status as the Lambeth meeting begins; he told a BBC interviewer that "my critics would find any date impermissible." Robinson said that he was only taking advantage of a new state law allowing registration of civil partnerships. The New Hampshire law took effect on January 1.
What constantly astonishes me about the leadership of the Episcopal Church USA is not so much their heresy as their sheer, overweening, in-your-face arrogance. Even were I to concede the propriety of the Most Reverend Mr. Robinson’s behavior (don't hold your breath), I would have to wonder about his pastoral qualities. So, I suspect, would Paul.

Only take care lest this liberty of yours somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. For if any one sees you, a man of knowledge, at table in an idol's temple, might he not be encouraged, if his conscience is weak, to eat food offered to idols? And so by your knowledge this weak man is destroyed, the brother for whom Christ died. Thus, sinning against your brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food is a cause of my brother's falling, I will never eat meat, lest I cause my brother to fall. (1Co 8:9-13, RSV)

But, then, Paul was just that nasty guy that corrupted the universal inclusivity of “real” Christianity. I almost forgot.