Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Hypothetical Conversation

A hypothetical conversation:

Bank: This is the Bank of America, can I help you?

Customer: Yes, I want to cancel my account. I don't want to do business with you any longer.

Bank: Why?

Customer: You're giving credit to illegal immigrants and I don't think it's right. I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Bank: Well, Mr. Customer, we don't want to see you do that, but we can't stop you. I'll help you close the account. What is your account number?

Customer: (gives account number)

Bank: For security purposes and for your protection,can you please give me the last four digits of your social security number?

Customer: No.

Bank: Mr. Customer, I need to verify your information, but in order to help you, I'll need verification of who you are.

Customer: Why should I give you my social security number? The reason I'm closing my account is that your bank is issuing credit cards to illegal immigrants who don't have social security numbers. You are targeting thataudience and want their business. Let's say I'm an illegal immigrant and you've given me a credit card. I have a question about it and call for assistance. You wouldn't be asking me for a Social Security number, would you?

Bank: No sir, I wouldn't.

Customer: Why not?

Bank: Because you would have pressed '2' to speak in Spanish. We don't askfor that information when calling in on the Spanish line.
Lest you think this hypotheticalscenario is unreasonable hyperbole, please check out the following entry from Snopes.com.

I have nothing against refugees, or against immigrants who come to this country legally. I do, however, have an issue with foreign nationals, who owe their allegiance to a foreign power, skulking across our legitimate borders solely in order to make more money. (a) The USA is a nation state and should not be denied the same rights given without argument to other nations states regarding the sovereignty and inviolability of their borders – e.g., try sneaking into Mexico from Guatemala and see how much sympathy you get.

(b) It is a massive security breach. All a terrorist has to do is learn Spanish, and he will have a 90+ percent chance of getting into the country and staying here with little problem.

(c) Illegal immigration into the USA across the southern border provides massive amounts of funds to stabilize and perpetuate a corrupt and oligarchic Mexican government which is responsible for the pathetic economic conditions in Mexico in the first place. Both countries would be better served in the long run by grabbing illegals as they cross the border, giving them an M-16 and ammo, a copy of the US Constitution, and sending them back with good wishes and a promise of free ammunition.

(d) As Michael Chertoff, head of Homeland Security, said, “It is very important … that they understand what it will mean if we don't address this problem in a way that will continue to allow us to harvest our fruits and vegetables, and produce our crops, and milk our cows, and get this agriculture to market in a way that will be priced so that people can actually afford to buy it.” (The ellipsis does not change the meaning of the quote.) In other words, illegal aliens are important because that way we can subsidize our agriculture and maid service on the backs of marginalized, brown-skinned people. That is blatantly immoral and at least marginally racist. You’ll notice nobody wants to import poor Eastern Europeans to pick our crops – probably just can’t stand seeing blond hair and blue eyes out in the fields.

I say this as someone who likes Mexico and likes the Mexicans. But Mexico is a country, and so is the USA, and countries have certain rights and prerogatives that are inviolable. One of the reasons for those rights and prerogatives is that they historically foster peace, harmony, and independence. Those who advocate their violation, despite their claims, do not hold the moral high ground. Over time, their “morality” leads to resentment, abuse, oppression, and ultimately, havoc. It is the same at the national as at the local level; good fences make good neighbors.