Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Quote of the Week

The following quote is readily applicable in a systemic manner to today's Episcopal Church, but it is also applicable to plenty of other denominations and, at a personal level, to hordes of individuals throughout Christendom. Frankly, I think it's one of the greates temptations of our modern, democratic times. I've ben guilty of it before, and I know I could be guilty again at the drop of a hat. One of the best reasons to read the Fathers of the Church is to provide an antitdote to the poison of wanting to make up my own religion.

If you believe what you like in the Gospels, and reject what you do not like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.
Contra Faustum, Book XVII

(Also translated as "to believe what you please, and not to believe what you please, is to believe yourselves, and not the gospel.")