Monday, August 06, 2007

Saving the Earth with Four-Dollar Coffee

I received the following today as email spam:

"Starbucks is proud to host conversations in our stores about the critical issue of climate change. Come meet with other members of your community, and talk about what you can do to help make a difference.

To make this day possible, Starbucks has partnered with leaders from organizations such as The Climate Group, Conservation International, Earth Day Network,Earthwatch Institute, and Global Green USA.

What we do in our home affects theirs (next to image of polar bears).

Starbucks National Day of Discussion
Date: Wednesday, August 15."

Terrific. If I want to know about climatology, I'll be sure to ask some peddlers of overpriced coffee. If I want to find out more about nuclear power, I suppose I should ask the manager down at the grocery store.

A good chunk of what's wrong with this country is that years of self-esteem training have managed to convince the intellectually deficient that they actually know what they are talking about.

Kyrie eleison.