Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Lawsuit Threatened Over Student-Initiated Graduation 'Altar Call'

The ACLU is looking to sue an Arkansas high school over a prayer at its spring commencement.

The Arkansas chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union is threatening to file suit against Jonesboro High School for allowing a Christian student to give an "altar call" during its graduation ceremony last May at the Arkansas State University Convocation Center.

Rita Sklar, executive director of the Arkansas ACLU, claims senior Jessica Reed violated the First Amendment when she told fellow graduates "in the closing moments of this service, if you would like to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, here's your chance."

WorldNetDaily reports that during her speech, the graduating senior shared her faith. "I'm here to tell you that God is someone, that he is amazing. He will love you through everything. He will praise you when you are down. All you have to do is give your heart to Him. And before we leave, I want to give you that opportunity."

Sklar has described the event as a "blatant display of contempt for the First Amendment."

[…] Karieva notes that the ACLU is frantically searching for a plaintiff in Jonesboro in hopes of suing the school for an alleged unconstitutional endorsement of religion, but has yet to find one.

(Original article here.)

"Display of contempt for the First Amendment?" I thought the First Amendment guaranteed freedom of speech. I guess the ACLU has decided they're not in favor of free speech. Perhaps they believe that all speech is free, but some kinds of speech are more free than others? In any case, there seems to be some serious logical schizophrenia on their part. Were I more cynical, I might be tempted to believe that they were simply anti-Christian and not interested in liberty at all.

I wish the ACLU luck in their search for a plaintiff. I certainly don’t endorse violence - wait, that’s a lie.
I don’t like to see vigilante justice - well, I can’t really claim that either.
Okay, I’m not in favor of randomly discharging firearms in residential neighborhoods.

Anyway, I certainly would not want to be the guy that volunteers to shill for the ACLU in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Talk about doing something that will void your life insurance policy! My oh my oh my.

(Tip of the gimme cap to Jimmy Akin.)