Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Marginal Salvation

In Adult Sunday School, we’ve recently been doing a study of the Letter to the Hebrews. We were on chapters 3 and 4, which talk about the Hebrews of the Exodus perishing in the desert from disobedience, and about the perils of our being called by Christ and failing to respond.

While we were discussing the requirements for obedience, someone mentioned how they had actually, seriously been asked once, “What’s the least I can do and still be saved?” There was a bit of a stunned silence after that, but I used to be Stewardship Chair at my prior church. My first response was, “No matter what else you wind up saying, be sure to tell them they have to tithe!” For heaven’s sake, wherever they wind up going, there’s no sense in letting the money go to waste!

Once a Stewardship Chairman, always a Stewardship Chairman. It warps one a wee bit, I think.