Tuesday, July 18, 2006

What's Your Favorite Liturgical Abuse?

Ben Myers at Faith and Theology is running a poll on the “worst liturgical innovation in recent history.”  Choices include Liturgical Dance, the altar call, little cups of grape juice for communion, banners on the walls, and powerpoint sermons.  Go vote; if your most horrific liturgical experience isn’t on the list, you can post a comment.

Mine was a no-brainer.  Once on Maundy Thursday in the Episcopal Church, I found myself sitting through a liturgical dance where a bunch of guys built like me twirled their way up to the altar in tights. Beloved-But-Expensive Daughter almost choked to death trying to stifle her giggles; all I could think of was the hippo ballet from Disney's Fantasia. It was so appalling you couldn't even call it sacrilege. Then they all joined hands and pranced around the altar like a bunch of Wiccans at Stonehenge. As drool fell from my slackened jaw, BBED tapped me on the shoulder and whispered, "Which one are we going to sacrifice?"