Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Scary Churches

This may be the scariest church web site I have ever run across. It makes ECUSA and dissident parishes like the notorious Catholic(ish) St. Joan of Arc in Minneapolis look positively, well, normal.

Make sure you are sitting; take the Prozac (or beer, if you are Bubbaspiritual); now click here to be transferred across the boundaries of time, space, and orthodoxy to Ebenezer Lutheran in San Francisco, California. One of their prayers (the Mater Nostra, I guess) is below.

Our Mother who is within us
we celebrate your many names.
Your wisdom come
your will be done
unfolding from the depths within us.
Each day you give us all that we need.
You remind us of our limits
and we let go.
You support us in our power
and we act with courage.
For you are the dwelling place within us
the empowerment around us
and the celebration among us
now and for ever. Amen


I’m afraid my heavenly mother is the one who said "Behold, I am the handmaid of The Lord; let it be to me according to your word." I really don’t think that’s quite what these people have in mind. Be sure to (not) purchase a Goddess Rosary from their online store!

(Tip of the gimme cap to The Curt Jester.)