Thursday, October 27, 2005

Apparitions everywhere

Jesus on a tree

No, not The Tree – a tree in New York City. I’d find these sorts of things a whole lot funnier if they didn’t make Christians look like a pack of addled dorks. As I read scripture, I don’t find a single case of the Lord appearing as an image in a foodstuff, a dirty mirror, or any other natural or manmade object. With the exception of the burning bush (from which the Lord spoke, mind you!), whenever He wanted to show up, He just showed up.

My favorite part is the sandwich:
In the American breadbasket town of Lincoln, Neb., an eBay member claimed the face of Jesus on a sandwich was responsible for a miraculous turnaround.

'Jesus' said to overlook unclean meat on this grilled ham and cheese

"On Sunday Jan. 14, 2001, my life changed forever," the Nebraskan explains. "I had been a heavy drinker for many years and on that day, I discovered what appeared to be the image of Jesus Christ on my grilled ham and cheese. After that day, I quit drinking and began to make much needed changes in my life. I have kept this sandwich a secret from everyone, but it has served as a daily reminder of this magnificent miracle. Now however, I feel that this sandwich should be shared with the hope that its image will inspire others to make changes in their lives."

Check out the original article. The “Sacred Image” on the tree looks to me more like Charlie Manson


and the face in the sandwich looks more to me like the face on Mars.