Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Miers Nomination

From Southern Appeal for October 6

A Baseball Parable. Imagine that the owner of the Texas Rangers had a choice between Alex Rodriguez and an untested minor league shortstop whose batting average and fielding prowess were not known. Imagine that the shortstop promised, sincerely, on a Bible, with all his might, that he would bat and field well. And imagine too that the shortstop cites as evidence of his on-field skills that he had once worked in the Rangers' front office scouting prospective ball players. What would we think of the owner choosing the shortstop over Rodriquez and offering the shortstop the same salary which Rodriquez was willing to accept?

I’ve avoided posting on the Miers nomination until now, but the paragraph above pretty well summarizes my thoughts. I really hope this woman works out on the court; I really, really, really do. But this whole thing is just unbelievably discouraging. I can’t help starting to wonder why I’ve even bothered to vote all these years.