Friday, September 23, 2005

From Today's "Bliss" on JWR

Taking Advantage of the Opportunities…

This cartoon makes me think. I try to make a point of “giving thanks for my blessings,” but how often do I actually use them to their full potential? Most days, I take most everything I have for granted – from my family, to my job, to simply the fact of living in the USA - and in Texas, to boot! What would life be like if I really believed in what I’ve been given, and really trusted in the giver? As a follower of Christ, I tend to be like those guys in Luke 9:

"And He said to another, "Follow Me." But he said, "Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father." But He said to him, "Allow the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God." Another also said, "I will follow You, Lord; but first permit me to say good-bye to those at home." But Jesus said to him, "No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." "
(Luk 9:59-62 NASB)

I’d be the guy you don’t see in this cartoon, running like hell for the other shore, saying “Thanks for getting us away from the Egyptians,” but not really trusting that the water’s not going to come down on my head any second. The only reason I have enough trust to head out in the first place is that I really don’t have much of a choice. "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. “